Thursday, April 12, 2007

Egg Fights, a Family Tradition...

I'm sure most of you are wondering just what in the world an egg fight is, and why would you egg fight in your Sunday best?!? It is a family tradition to egg fight on Easter. It has been around LONG before even my Grandpa was a kid. The origins are a little sketchy, but I was told it was an old French or French/American tradition, and is centuries old. I have also found reference on the web to it being an Armenian and British tradition. There is even a place where they have a contest every year (and have a 0-3year old category!)

Egg fighting is simple. You take an egg from your "collection," and hold it so only the top is showing. How to hold it is a skill that you gain later, but the basic hold will work too! ;) Then the other person tries to crack your egg in a single hit. The egg that isn't cracked can continue to play. The other is the loser of that hit. You play both sides of the egg, and the winner is determined by the lone egg that isn't cracked. It is a BIG deal to be the champion for that year!

This year started out with Dad showing the kids again how to hold the egg. Chicky Magoo 2 needed some help on the first hit, but then after that she figured it out well enough that she got even the cheating down.

Chicky Magoo 1 looks a little scared about this hit! I was on a streak of 3 hits without cracking my egg though, so she should have been a little nervous! LOL!

I think this is one of those traditions that when we first met, Mr. Magoo found a little strange, but also thought it sounded pretty fun. He got into it after the first hit, about 10 years ago, and since has wanted to win! I don't think he has been the champion yet. This year he wanted to file a grievance about a hit I made, but there really is nowhere for him to turn in such a situation. He thinks I hit the side of his prized egg (which I didn't NOT do on purpose, although I know the evidence would suggest otherwise) For the record that egg broke on the next hit, so it was a wash. He was quite happy to see my egg destroyed!

We always have fun doing this, and it gives you something to do with them besides making deviled eggs. YUCK!

Chicky Magoo 1 was the champion this year. Here she is holding up the prized egg!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your aim isn't so bad that would would "accidentally" hit way off center on my egg! You are exposed!

Anonymous said...

I still think it would much more fun if you used uncooked eggs.
WAY TO GO KAITLYN.....:)

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB KAITLYN........someone had to win for me since I wasn't there to reclaim my throne as the "QUEEN" of egg fights!!

Anonymous said...

nice try queen...meet the king of egg fights.