Sunday, March 29, 2009

Soccer and Stress

Last night Mr. Magoo, my Mom and I all watched the USA play El Salvador in soccer. We are all big soccer fans but haven't watched the World Cup qualifier matches this year. In previous years we have, but it has been a while since I've been really into soccer. I played soccer from age 5 til about age 13 and then my brother played for what seemed like every weekend until he was in college. I think he still plays every once in a while, but those times get fewer and farther in between.

It has been such a long time that I had totally forgotten just how much stress soccer matches cause me!! I become so involved in the game that at the end I feel like I am the one who has played. I forgot how on each corner kick I seem to hold my breath or critique the players the entire time saying "Kick it!" or "What are you doing?" or "This goalie is terrible!" I do enjoy watching almost all sports, but there is something about soccer that really gets me into the game!

Two things that you need to know if you don't watch soccer:

1- If you have never heard anything other than the US sportscasters announce a game, you are missing a HUGE part of the game. Check out this link from the game last night.
2- The other thing to note is that at any given time players of soccer will go down writhing in pain for one of two reasons. A- They are actually in pain, and if this is the case they will try and get up and keep playing. or B- The other team is doing better than they are at that point, and they try to use acting as defense. Check this out to see what kind of acting I'm talking about!

After the game was over last night it took us all a while to even be tired! We were all so keyed up from the game that it took us until about 1am before we were ready for bed! All I have to say is "whew!" I do have all sorts of critiques of the game, but I'll keep MOST of them to myself. Except to say "Go Beasley. You rock!" and then "What is up USA? If we can't beat El Salvador then we need to work on a few things before the World Cup!"

1 comment:

craig said...

you know i played against beasley's brother. they are from fort wayne