Thursday, February 26, 2009

Religion. Maybe this is too deep?

I don't often write about religion, mostly because I feel like there is not one true religion, and people should be free to practice what they want. I just try to do what I think I'm being called to do. To me the basics of any religion are based on the principle of "Be Nice." I'm sure not ALL religions work this way, but for the most part. I feel like just as people have acclimated to their climates over millions of years, religion has acclimated as well. So that the "Be Nice" principle holds true, but the basics of trying to do good for others, being a part of a community and realizing that the world isn't about just you still ring true no matter what religion you practice. (Okay- I realize that a lot of you have just stopped reading my blog forever now!) To me, the difference in religions should be accepted and not looked down upon, just like different races. See the good in what others are doing while not concentrating on the bad! To me that is what God is calling us to do in all aspects of our life.

So yesterday in Church we had the reading below. This reading has always been confusing to me. Not because of what it says. I get what it says and am in agreement. But what I don't get is that this is read right before you go up to get ashes on your forehead. That has always seemed contradictory of what we are doing. I know some of you will think "Oh Catholics" but that is not what I'm trying to point out. I do enjoy the traditions of our faith. It just makes me chuckle when we listen to this reading, but then go get ashes, which I'm pretty sure would make others realize that you are getting ready to fast and sacrifice for Lent. Either that, or they think you have gotten one big bruise on your forehead that magically goes away later in the day.
I guess what I'm saying is that each religion doesn't follow the Bible exactly, as hard as they might try. If they did we wouldn't get postcards about how much better one Church is than another. Or hear about how bad "others" are during services. We wouldn't see 'Jesus fish' on business signs. We wouldn't really try to find ways to keep people from God. I just chuckle because it is mankind once again showing their faults and as Christ-like as we all try to be, even the best of us makes mistakes!

Matthew 6: 1-6; 16-18
1. Beware of practicing your piety before men in order to be seen by them; for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2.
Thus, when you give alms, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3.
But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4.
so that your alms may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
5.
"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
6.
But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
16.
"And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward.
17.
But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
18.
that your fasting may not be seen by men but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Man- this was probably the deepest post I've ever made on here. What happened?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have always thought the same thing...then the rest of the day i wonder "if i wash this off, does that mean i'm practicing in secret? or does that mean i'm not following tradition?"

Anonymous said...

I take a lot of that scripture to mean be humble in doing all of those things, don't do them in such a way to be prideful about it. From a Lutheran perspective, the ashes are an outward sign of the need for repentance and cleansing, not that we've done something good. Did I just add to the confusion of it all! Way to go Mrs. Magoo for braving a deep topic!!