Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Great Q-Tip Debate

Okay- I know I'm going to get some responses to this post. So go ahead and rip!

I am an avid Q-tip user. I can't go on vacation without them, and a day without Q-tip use would seem preposterous to me. I did a little research on Q-tip use, and found this article.

"As it turns out, ear wax is important for your overall health, particularly the health of your ears. Ear wax removal should only be considered if you're having hearing problems or experience constant blockages caused by excessive production of ear wax in the ear canal. Thankfully, getting rid of ear wax isn't a difficult process. However you should have a doctor look at your ears before following the treatment for ear wax removal described here."

Now, I have heard this a thousand times, but it has gotten me thinking. Do any of us know of anyone who has ever had a really bad ear problem because of Qtips? I never have! I sometimes wonder if this is a medical conspiracy against the makers of Qtips. I know- I know, they have 1000 other uses, but really do people buy them specifically for these other uses, unless they are an art teacher, or do they just have them around the house and then use them for other things? Hmm- maybe this post has a Deep Thoughts By Jack Handy thing going on.

There are other ways to clean your ears. I understand that. But do any of them give you that feeling of 'ahhh' that this does? I don't think so, but maybe you non-ear cleaners don't understand what I'm talking about. I don't know, but for me one of the things that TOTALLY grosses me out is when I look over and can see earwax coming out of someone's ear! Ewww! Gross! I just can't take it!!! I want to go over and hand them a Qtip and say "Hey- I know you think it is dangerous, but what you are doing is just plain sick! Fight through the danger and PLEASE clean out your ears!"

I have also heard this concern as posted on this website "simply scratching or abrading the skin in the ear canal provides a protected growth site for fungus -- the dreaded swimmer's ear" Again, I know this is what people say, but I don't know anyone who has ever had this problem. Maybe I just know the lucky few who have gone by without any issues. Or maybe now I have cursed myself to go deaf when I put the Qtip in my ear today. Doctors say this, without any real statistics to back it up. Just how dangerous is it? I know drinking can be dangerous, but then that doesn't stop me from having a margarita when we are at the local Mexican hangout. Does it you? Whatever the case, I would like to know what you think. Is there something that I'm missing?

2 comments:

Auntie Magoo said...

I'm pro Q-Tip........that brand specifically!

Mr. Magoo said...

There is nothing worse than a generic Q-Tip. Those things ARE dangerous.